Below are the Role objectives and the key tasks and responsibilities of an Assistant Miller.
An Assistant Miller role presents a great opportunity to develop a Millers knowledge and experience in the Milling Industry and to progress to either a Shift Miller, Head Miller, or Production Manager role.
Ensure optimal Wheat Cleaning / Mill performance is achieved and maintained by achieving optimum Wheat Cleaning machinery performance, screening extraction and optimum moisture targets. The Wheat Cleaning and Milling Operations are continuously monitored for optimal performance, meeting productivity and quality standards, and the continuous efficiency of equipment.
- Maintain Screenroom operations by checking all Wheat Cleaning machinery at regular intervals for optimal settings for the removal of foreign matter.
- Damping wheat and performing moisture tests on the conditioned wheat to ensure moisture targets and optimum conditioning times are maintained, with all results recorded and any irregularities communicated immediately to the Shift Miller.
- Testing milled flour quality for particle size, consistency, water absorption, colour, ash etc. to ensure finished product meets required specifications with any irregularities recorded and communicated.
- Assist Shift Miller with Mill operations when required and assist in maintaining Quality and Food Safety procedures of production.
- Monitor performance of plant machinery and if failures or breakages are found repair if possible, or notify Maintenance staff to ensure Mill equipment operates effectively and chokes, breakdowns and wastage are minimised.